Raymond Henry George Military History

September 14, 1915- November 30, 1990



Raymond Henry George Military Record

Raymond Henry George had an exceptional life, very appropriate for this exceptional man. While quiet, reserved, and unassuming, he left a large footprint. Anyone who spent time with him was quickly intrigued by his adventuresome life and wished to learn more. With some prompting he was, at times, willing to share some stories. You were always entertained and came away with awe and admiration for his life, his courage, and his kindness to others. These stories, shared by family and friends, provided the clues that enabled this small biography to be created. Pictures, documents and Raymond's Web footprint provided an overview of this highly respected man. Raymond was a Marine who served his country during two wars. His years as a pilot during WWII were especially dangerous, first as a result of the unreliable nature of the various aircraft in which he logged many hours, and second, of course, the enemy. Somehow Raymond, though injured, survived the wars and after retiring from the Marines moved to another hazardous venue, the oceans. His second career, as a crewman on sailing ships involved in long distance racing, was fraught with danger. Miraculously Raymond survived uninjured the ten years spent in the pursuit of trophies in some of the most demanding international events. Here we chronicle the life of this man who served his country, loved his family, sought adventure, and lived life to the fullest.

Acknowledgements: Ida George Meikle, Peggy Meikle Egli, Teresa Meikle-Griswold, Marion Winter Thompson, John Luther, Martha Koziol, and Pat Winter Oakes.

Early Years

Raymond Henry George was born September 14, 1915, in Attleboro, MA, though his family lived most of their life in Wrentham, MA. He was three when they moved there. He was the son of Walter Henry George and Elsie Adamson Winter. His siblings included Murray Winter, Ida Gertrude (Meikle), Allan Winfred and Margaret Evelyn “Peg”(Brown). Raymond enjoyed growing up in Wrentham surrounded by many cousins. Lake Archer was popular with Raymond, his cousins, and friends. Below we see Raymond in the class room, on Lake Archer and in high school.








Raymond, school boy, and Raymond preparing for the Naval Academy.



While in high school, Raymond, according to sister Ida, learned to operate the switchboard in town and by working each weekend and holidays, he was able to supplement the family income during the Depression years.

Raymond "Jorge" George was a day student in high school at the Dean Academy in Franklin MA His ambition stated in the yearbook was to attend the US Naval Academy and be a Naval Aviation Officer.












At right we see the complete George family. Left to right: Margaret “Peg”, Walter Henry, Murray, Raymond Henry, Allan, Elsie and Ida.

Following graduation from high school, Raymond took courses at the Dean Academy until he was old enough to apply to the Naval Academy at Annapolis. He received on January 23, 1934, the necessary recommendation for appointment from Rep. Joseph W. Martin, Jr. who represented the 15th Congressional District.





Annapolis Years

Raymond entered the Academy in 1934. While there he participated in Crew and Boat Club.

Freshman Class Annapolis, 1935. I believe Raymond is 5th from left in the second row.

Sophomore Class, Annapolis, 1936. Class of Nineteen Thirty Eight, I believe Raymond is 2nd from left in the fifth row.

Crew, Annapolis, Raymond is 4th from left. Could not find this picture in the yearbook among Varsity Crew. I assume this is junior varsity.

Raymond George, Annapolis, 1937, Boat Club, front row, 6th from left.

Raymond George, Annapolis, 1937, Boat Club, front row, 6th from left.

Raymond George, Annapolis, 1938, 1st Battalion, 1st Company.

Raymond George. Annapolis, 1938, Boat Club, front row, 2nd from left. next to last row

Raymond George. Annapolis, 1938, Boat Club, front row, 2nd from left. next to last row.

Raymond from U. S. Naval Academy yearbook. 1938. Entered active service June 2, 1938.

Raymond George’s roommate in 1940 was Alton Deford Gould, pictured above.

Raymond on mast, July, 1938.

Visit with Relatives in Scotland, 1938

In 1937, Raymond traveled to Scotland on his Navy cruise. He visited with his relatives in Perth, Jim and Maggie Winter, photo at left. Both pictures here are at Rosemont Place in Perth.















In 1940, census records show Raymond a Lieutenant in the U. S. Navy, living in Portsmouth, NH, earning $1500/yr. He is sharing an apartment with Lt. Alton D. Gould from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Gould married Elizabeth A. Filemyr in Philadelphia in 1940. Alton died in Plymouth, MA, two months after Raymond did.


Raymond and his 1936 De Soto Custom Airstream Convertible Coupe, ca. 1939

Military Career

On April 9, 1941, Raymond is certified as a Naval Aviator.

In July of 1941, 1st Lieutenant Raymond George is now in pilot training at the Marine Barracks, Naval Air Station, Pensacola, FL. He is listed for NA & NA Instruments: 29, acc comm as 1st LT. to rank from June 2, 1941.


In the 1942 Pawtucket Times, the following photo appeared. Raymond, his brother Allan and Murray appear and his cousins Wilfred and George.

Lt. Murray W. George (1913-70) served in the Pacific Theater during WWII doing aerial reconnaissance work with the Army Engineers. He was a landscape architect and after the war worked for the National Park Service.

Staff Sargent Allan W. George (1919-91) was an aircraft mechanic in the Army Air Corps and remained in the service until 1950. He then worked as a civilian at the Army’s Cold Regions Research Engineering Laboratory in New Hampshire.

George E. Winter (1918-2005) enlisted in U. S. Army March 20, 1941. He was involved with aircraft construction. He played in the 26th Infantry Band for the Army. He received a Bronze Star medal. He was a Tec 4 in the U.S. Army.

Raymond was promoted to Major on February 28, 1943. An entry in the Register of Commissioned and Warrant Officers of the U. S. Navy and Marine Corps, July 1, 1943 lists Raymond Henry George: Advanced for Eminent and Conspicuous Conduct in Battle. Entered active service June 2, 1938. Qualified for Command of Submarine. Held Master’s License under Steamboat Inspection Systems. Completed Course in Personnel Administration. His promotion may have been related to the statement here, “Advanced for Eminent and Conspicuous Conduct in Battle.” No information is available currently that documents this speculation.

In July and October of 1943, he is listed as Major & Pilot in Marine Night Fighter Squadron 531, Mag 53, 3rd MAW, FMF, USMCAS, Cherry Point, NC (CO (Commanding Officer or Company), Rear Echelon). Raymond had joined this squadron in 1942 as a Captain and NA Material Officer








Above are the pilots of the original Squadron VMF (N)-531 Night Fighters, U. S. Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point, NC December 12, 1942. Left to Right: Captain Ross Sanner Mickey (from Portage PA, 1939 graduate UVA), Captain Raymond George, Major Edward M. Hodgson (U. Georgia’35, Home Athens, GA.), Lt. Col. Frank H. Schwable, ? Major John Daniel Harshberger (Cal. Tech Graduate), Captain William C. Kellum (b. 1916, CA), *1st Lt. Duane R. Jenkins. Airplane is SNJ-4, Harvard Trainer, (ID by John Luther.)

*2nd Lt. Duane R. Jenkins (Captain Duane R. Jenkins (MCSN: 0-12723), United States Marine Corps, was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for heroism and extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight in actions against enemy Japanese forces in the Pacific Theater of Operations during World War II. Date of death: December 5, 1944, Burial location: Manila, Philippine Islands, Home of record: Minnesota Status: KIA),.

Only Raymond George was known in this picture. Here are my reasons for the identifications. John Luther provided an estimate of the rank of individuals base on insignias; some are difficult to see in the photo. The most important clue came from the book, Marine Night Fighters Association by Herbert C. Banks, Turner Publishing Company. The only available copy for purchase is listed at $1200, however there are copies at Library of Congress and US Naval Academy Library in Annapolis. Google has provided excerpts online, however most of the photographs are protected by copyrights and thus not scanned. I hope at some point to see a copy of the book. If anyone reading this has access to a copy, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. (oakes@physics.utexas.edu). Here are three interesting excerpts from the book. Assignment above confirmed July 29, 2014, by Ross Sanner Mickey, Sr., at left in photo. Despite his 97 years he remains very sharp and vibrant. He lives in Hawaii overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

Marine Night Fighter Squadron 531: Squadron Log

16 Nov 42: VMF(N)531 was commissioned at the U.S. Marine Corps Air Station. Cherry Point. NC this date by authority of VOpnav Conf. ltr. Op-40-A-KB(SC) A21-2 Doc. 55319 Serial 064540 of 25 Jul 1942 and| A&I USMC Conf. ltr. AD-288-rs 07131042 of 6 Nov 42. The following officers reported: LtCol. F. H. Schwable. USMC, commanding: Maj. J. D. Harshberger. USMC. executive officer Capt. R. H. George. USMC, material officer: Capt. W. C. Kellum. USMC. gunnery and parachute officer and 2nd Lt. C. B. Kyle. USMC. engineering officer. Maj. E. M. Hodgson. USMCR and 2nd Lt. D. R. Jenkins. USMCR were attached for duty but were not carried on the squadron roll. Forty-six enlisted men were detailed fur duty with VMF(N)-531 but were not actually transferred until at later date. The majority of engineering and material men were detailed for duty with VM-531 but were not actually transferred until a later date. The majority of engineering and material men were furnished by AES-41, Maj. Irland, clerical, radio, ordnance. etc., personnel being furnished by various Air Station squadron. The squadron headquarters was temporarily established in the administration building with the enlisted personnel functioning within AES-41's space in hangar No. 1. Two SNJ-4 airplanes, No. 10-279 and 10-280 were assigned to the squadron by the material officer. aircraft carriers. Atlantic Fleet, at Norfolk. Prior to the 16th, the above named officers were flying the two SNJs, station SNCs and checking out in the station`s R4D. The squadron had had one conference in which the plans, policy, mission, and purpose of the organization was explained. 4.9 hours multi. 2.3 night, 8 other flying, d organizing squadron were read. 4.1 hours night (mostly tracking for New River problems), 2.1 instrument and 3.8 other.

10 Dec 42: Conference. Fight Director training films. TSgt. Bouher radar. reported in officially. Capt. R.S. Mickey. USMC.reported this date as communication officer with orders effective as of 8 December. Maj. Hodgson reported back from his cross-country, but is not yet officially transferred. 2.3 hours night flying, 2.3 instrument.

12 Dec 42: First Saturday a.m. inspection of personnel followed by drill. Squadron photograph taken. First man up for office hours - SSgt. Jenna for five hours AOL. Instruction given by Lt. Comdr. Wilkinson in navigational trainer: SSgt. Trammell reported by staff returns but is now attending the Link Trainer Instructors School at Atlanta for six weeks. 25 hours instrument-
Note that the 16 Nov 42 entry has seven names, so it is tempting to assign those seven to the seven in the photo. It turns out as we shall see, it is not likely that 2n Lt. C. B. Kyle is in the photo and very likely that Capt. R. S. Mickey. in the Dec 10 entry, is the seventh pilot. The Dec

12 entry notes the taking of the above photo. Which we now discuss:

*Captain Ross Sanner Mickey was born September 10, 1917. He was from Portage, PA. He graduated in 1939 from the U. of VA with a Bachelor Of Science. He was on the dean’s list and was in Glee Club and St. Paul’s Choir. In 1986, he is living in 317 Vineyard Road, Halesite, NY. His son, Ross Sanner Mickey Jr attended Northport, NY High School in 1968.

















Ross Sanner Mickey, Sr., naval aviator cadet, 1940. At right is Ross in 1944. Pictures courtesy of his son, Ross Sanner Mickey, Jr.


*Captain Ray H. George

*Major Edward M. Hodgson was born in September 24, 1914 in Athens. GA to Edward R. J. and Mary M. Hodgson. Edward was a fertilizer manufacturer. His siblings included two brothers and a sister, John M. Paul and Marjorie. Edward graduated from U. Georgia in 1935. He appears in the Marine muster rolls in 1935. His station: Marine Corps Reserve Aviation Unit, Naval Reserve Aviation Base, Opalocka, Florida. His rank is Private First Class. He is assigned to Puerto Rico, Ouantico, Parris Island, Cherry Point and California. His wife’s name might be Marion S. There is some evidence they lived in Atlanta, GA, and Ft. Worth, TX, after the war. He was an officer in The First Life Insurance Company in Ft. Worth. Edward died February 8, 1997 in Ft. Worth.

*Lt. Col. Frank H. Schwable. Schwable, the son of a Marine colonel who served thirty years, graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1929. He was awarded the Cross of Valor by the Nicaraguan government in 1932. In September 1933, he was among 19 aviators representing the Marine Corps at the International Air Races in Chicago.. Maj Frank H. Schwable was directed by MajGenComdt Thomas Holcomb to go to England to "get all the information you can on the organization and operation of night fighting squadrons . . . . When he returned to the United States, he pioneered Marine Corps night fighter tactics and commanded the first such night fighter squadron in the Pacific. When Schwable returned home in April 1942, he wrote a detailed report on his findings. He was convinced that the most essential qualification for a night fighter pilot was his desire to be one. He recommended that those selected should be fairly young but stable and conscientious, cool-headed but aggressive, and not quick-on-the-trigger or devil-may-care, as many a day fighter had been.
He and Captain Edward C. Dyer fought hard to obtain funding for the aircraft and personnel that would ultimately produce an effective night fighter capability for the Marine Corps. When the first Marine Night Fighter Squadron, VMF(N)-531, was commissioned on 16 November, 1942, Schwable became its leader and it would achieve a fine combat record in the Pacific war.
Col. Schwable and his co-pilot were reported missing on a combat mission in Korea in July, 1952. Schwable was released from captivity in September, 1953. He received the Legion of Merit for his service in World War II. Schwable retired on June 30, 1959, as a brigadier general. He died on October 28, 1988, and is buried in Ebenezer Cemetery, Loudon County, Virginia.

*John Daniel Harshberger (Cal. Tech Graduate) was born October 22, 1911, to Frank Merrith and Marie Florida McKinley Harshberger in Cook County, Illinois. His ethnicity in his birth certificate is Canadian. Frank was from Atwood, IL and Marie was born in Orlando, FL. In 1920, Marie was widowed, living in Chicago with her sister and with son John and his sister Marie. John must have been very bright as he enrolled in Cal Tech in 1928 at the age of 17. He graduated in 1934. He left school for unknown reasons, but returned to play football and graduate. He enlisted July 1, 1936, and was released from the military Oct 31, 1959. John died December 11, 1999, in Walterville, Lane, Oregon. He was 88. His wife is listed as Mary. Her name was likely Mary Elise and she was born May 12, 1914. She may have died in July 8, 2013, in Tustin, OR.

•Captain William Cuthbert Kellum born June 2, 1915, in California to Earl Junius and Lulu Trapper Kellum. He had a younger sister Jean L. Kellum. Earl was a railroad trainmaster. William graduated with a degree in Economics from the University of California at Berkeley in 1938. In March of 1944, William, assumed duties of Commanding Officer of the Night Fighting Squadron 542. William married Mildred Broadwell (1914-2004). William died February 21, 2003, in New Bern, Craven, NC. Below are pictures of William from his Los Angeles High School yearbooks. His interest in the military is apparent from these pictures.




















I believe William is second from left on the front row. Note that he is short and stocky as in pilot photo.

*2nd Lt. Duane Russell Jenkins, was born October 4, 1919, in Horton, Oceola, Iowa, to Claude Henry and Cleo Evelyn Palmer Jenkins. Claude(1891-1973), a farmer, was born in Worthington, MN. Cleo (1892-1975) was born in Iowa. Duane had an older brother, Donald Frank, and a twin brother Dwight Wilber. Dwight died in Sacramento, CA, November 4, 1991.

Captain Duane R. Jenkins (MCSN: 0-12723), United States Marine Corps, was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for heroism and extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight in actions against enemy Japanese forces in the Pacific Theater of Operations during World War II. Date of death: December 5, 1944, Burial location: Manila, Philippine Islands, Home of record: Minnesota Status: KIA.

Clarence B. Kyle is in photo below. There was a Clarence Kyle in 1930 in San Diego who is an aviation mechanic, born 1900 in Missouri, married to Eleanor Kyle, has three children: Alice, Doris & Jean, in 1920 at Great Lakes Training Station in Marine Corp.

VMF(N) 531 Squadron.Officers in front, L to R.Mickey, George, Harshberger, Schwable, Hodgson, Kellum, Jenkins, Clarence B. Kyle, Joe Orfitelli. (Photo Courtesy Ross Sanner Mickey, Sr.)

This group was created April 1, 1943. MAG-53 would eventually train eight night fighter squadrons and send seven into combat. Due to the uniqueness of 531, Headquarters Marine Corps ordered that, until ready for tactical deployment, the squadron would be considered a “Fleet Marine Force organization” directly under the Commandant. This squadron was to fly radar equipped Lockheed PV-1 Venturas (at right). Concern about these planes was expressed in a memorandum from Lt. Colonel Schwable:

“If it is the desire of the Bureau to have this unit (MG(N)-53) proceed to the combat zone in an airplane that is admittedly makeshift for the job, with guns that may or may not all fire, and with instruments that are difficult to read, and with radar that so far has an average of one out of three working, this unit will plan accordingly and accept, without comment, the experimental installations furnished.” The planes could not fly efficiently above 15,000 ft.

Rear Echelon left San Diego January 1, 1944, on the aircraft carrier White Plains with six planes and 30 men ( Raymond was among the 30), arrived Renard Field on Banika, Russell Islands, January 29, 1944. (Photo below.)




Until late 1943, there was little the Americans could do to impede Japanese nighttime attacks besides using ground-based radar; they could not intercept targets at night. The VMF (N531) changed that. Although the PV-1s proved generally ineffective, the installation of radar on fighter planes marked a major shift in their ability to intercept the enemy at night. During their tour in the Pacific, the squadron operated out of fields in the Russell Islands, Vella Lavella, and Bougainville. They accounted for 12 enemy planes shot down by 5 different crews, all at night, with a loss of 6 of their own aircraft and 17 crew members, none of them a result of enemy fire. The squadron returned to MCAS Cherry Point on September 1, 1944, and was quickly deactivated only to be reactivated a short time later on October 13 at Marine Corps Auxiliary Airfield Kinston (MCAAF Kinston), North Carolina, and reassigned to MAG-53, 9th Marine Aircraft Wing. A short time later the squadron moved to Marine Corps Air Station Eagle Mountain Lake near Fort Worth, Texas, to operate as a training squadron for replacement pilots and ground control intercept operators being sent overseas.

According to Marion Winter, Raymond was injured in the Pacific. given the timeline here that would have been during the Russell Islands assignment. Martha Koziol, Raymond’s neice, provided more details. Raymond often agreed to do the “beer run” to an adjacent island. During one of these runs, the beer was not adequately secured. Raymond said he failed to inspect carefully the loading. The load shifted and made the plane out of balance. When he attempted to take off, the plane flipped and caught fire. The flames entered the cockpit and the left side of Raymond’s face and his left arm were badly burned. He was returned to the States and finally sent to the Chelsea Hospital in Boston for skin grafting.
Below is the entry in the Official War Diaries for Raymond’s crash at Renard Field.

Below is the entry in the Official War Diaries for Raymond’s crash at Renard Field.

Before Raymond's crash, he flew 12 night combat patrol flights. Ten of these flights, totaling 37.2 hours, were over Torokina, Green Island, and convoys offshore. These were sites in the Solomon Islands off the coast of New Guinea.
Following the conclusion of World War II, the squadron was returned to MCAS Cherry Point and in March 1947 reassigned to the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing (2nd MAW).

Raymond George and TO-1 (originally Lockheed P-80, later F-80, Shooting Star, was renamed when assigned to the Navy/Marines). Information here from John Luther. “Lockeed P-80 Shooting Star was first built in late 1944. It did not see combat in WWII. In the late ‘40s, 50 of these were transferred to training units in the Navy and 16 of those were assigned to the USMC. These transferred planes were designated as TO-1's and later re-designated as TV-1's (about 1950). The Marine TO-1 aircraft were stationed at Marine Air Station El Toro, CA. Mountains in background suggest this picture is in California.” ca. late 1940s.

Lt. Colonel Raymond George at blackboard. Analysis of photo provided by John Luther: Likely post-WWII and in a cooler area than the Pacific, probably pre-Korea or very early Korea. Some pilots wearing warm jackets in the ready room. Clothing on the bulkhead is Marine late fall/winter (dark rather than tropical material. Headgear is the same; dark, although there is a mix of covers (hats called "pisscutters"). No real flying gear observed. They are not ready to fly, so I think it is posed during "administrative meeting." Ready rooms aboard ship and land bases used the squadron ready rooms for all sorts of meetings and to just "hang out" with squadron mates. Bulkheads (walls) look like they are aboard ship.

The man just by the pants hanging up is wearing headphones, so he is not paying close attention to presentation. Man in second row from back is reading a magazine so he is not getting ready to fly. The men on the right seemed to be smiling like they were getting good news or just posing for a moment. There is just the cover of a man on the left, forward wearing a Korea era cover, soft, utility, not flying type cap. The chalkboard on the right has what looks like flying areas around Hawaii by the shape of the islands drawn. The hatch (door) is like those on ships down in the second level or below where the ready room could have been.
Summary Guess:
Shipboard ready room post WWII in cooler weather by the jackets, but some summer covers visible.
Posed for the photographer.















At left: Raymond George, 1943
At right: Lt. Colonel Raymond H. George, Mag-24

Racing Career

On January 1, 1959, Raymond became a civilian. Now he had time to pursue his love affair with the sea. Raymond loved sailing and was a very able seamen.

1964 Sitzmark-Bermuda to Halifax. Left to Right: Front: Claudio Marzollo, Hugh ?, John Saunders, maybe Ed ?,, Archie Buchanan, Chris Wick (later was crew member of America's Cup defender Intrepid in 1970.)
Back: Dick Hunneman, Dr. Walter "Doc" Neuman (Owner and Skipper), maybe Bill Laver, Ray George (white hood)

Back Row, Archie Buchanan, RNSYS Commodore?, Dr. Walter “Doc” Neuman, Claudio Marzollo, Dick Hunneman, Ray George, John Saunders (killed in Vietnam). Front row Hugh ?, Chris Wick. Photo courtesy of Chris Wick (2014) who commented, "During the race, Sitzmark was hit by lightning and had all the masthead instruments fused into a blob. We were happy to have Ray along to keep things together.”

From New York Times:
HALIFAX, N. S., July 4, 1964 (UPI) — The Royal Canadian Naval Association yacht Pickle today crossed the finish line ahead of other yachts in Bermuda‐to‐Halifax yacht race. The Pickle emerged from the fog, catching buffs at the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron by surprise. The Pickle was not expected before tomorrow. The skipper of the Pickle estimated that the other two yachts, the Sitzmark and the Early Dawn, were trailing his vessel by about 7 and 11 hours, respectively. As clipping below from the Newport Daily News, July 6, 1964, shows, the Pickle win announcement was premature. The Sitzmark won after times were corrected. The 44 foot sloop, Sitzmark, skippered by he owner, Dr. Walter “Doc” Neumann, completed the 735-mile Bermuda-Halifax Race and won by a margin of 3 hours, breaking the previous record of 20 hours.


















Sports Illustrated cover, June 5, 1961, covering Ocean Racing. Caption under picture at right, “Halfway from Miami to Jamaica, crewman Jack Suiter (picture not shown) hangs on above the rush of water as he inches forward to clear a line for the men on the winch. With the line clear, Peter Bowker and Ray George (right) heave on the winch, trimming the headsails to keep the big yawl driving.

Raymond with boating magazines.

Raymond aboard his boat with mother Elsie Winter George and brother-in-law Elton Brown sailing around Newport in 1969.

Private Life

Sometime around 1952 Raymond married Doris Mae Layton of Chowan County, NC. Doris. She was born June 21, 1930, thus was fifteen years younger than Raymond. They were separated in 1956 and divorce in 1958. Following the granting of their divorce, Doris wrote, "This does it! Best wishes for a very happy future and all the good things that life has to offer. Too bad things couldn't have been different, but who are we to predict the future, Doris" She later married John J. Douglas(1925-99). Her obituary contains the following information:

“Doris Layton Douglas, 60, of Route 1, retired owner of Valhalla Flowers & Crafts, died April 8, 1991, in her home.
Mrs. Douglas, a native of Chowan County, was a member of Rocky Hock Baptist Church and the Albemarle Craftsman's Guild, Elizabeth City. She was a former member of Edenton Women's Club.

Survivors include her husband, Jack Douglas; a son, Mark S. Moreland of Edenton; a stepdaughter, Pamela Sue Johnson of Robersonville; a stepson, John J. Douglas Jr. of Edenton; her mother, Lessie B. Layton of Edenton; two brothers, J. Kermit Layton of Edenton and Murriel Q. Layton of Hertford; and a grandchild. Doris is buried in Beaver Hill Cemetery, in Edenton, Chowan County, NC.”

The photo above was developed, April 17, 1951, in Santa Anna, CA. A number of the cans on the table say Ruby, Product of Mexico and contain jalapeño peppers. The woman by Raymond is wearing a large engagement ring on her left hand. Since Raymond and Doris Layton married around 1952, I thought she might be Doris, however Marion Winter Thompson distinctly remembers her as a natural blond.

Raymond married a second time to Barbara Jean West on June 4, 1965, in Las Vegas, Nevada. He and Barbara J. George were divorced January 1, 1966, in Dade County, FL.

Raymond Brown during a visit with Doris Brown in California.

Raymond and siblings, Ida, Murray, Peg and Allan, ca 1969.

Raymond died Dade County Florida, November 30, 1990. Below is an excerpt from a letter written December 4, 1990, to the family by Ida George Meikle at the time of Raymond’s death. This loving tribute to Raymond was shared by Ida’s daughters, Peggy Meikle Egli and Teresa Meikle-Griswold.


Gallery of Photos and Documents Related to Raymond Henry George

Raymond George and Sandy Winter on his boat in Miami.

Raymond George, Lois Winter, Pat Winter and Ruby Brown(front) on his boat in Miami.

Raymond George, August 1970


Raymond George, July, 1965


Back: Raymond and Allan
Front: Peg, Ida and Murray

Raymond George, Port Au Prince












Sanban 73’ Yawl

Raymond’s swizzle stick collection.


Original Insignia of Gray Ghost Night Fighter Squadron.

Ghosts appear in strange ways-—but the "Gray Ghost” almost didn't appear at all! Here is the somewhat unorthodox way it came to be, from an article written by Ray George, but never published.


As Jack Colby so well writes (Ghost Lore Vol.4, No.l—84, p.6) regarding the origin of the squadron insignia, "it was whipped up one night to beat some kind of submission deadline". That deadline was the Wing Commander's order that all wing units at Cherry Point submit insignia by___which was practically the next day. The Squadron Commander and the first two echelons had already left for the South Pacific. He, the Rear Echelon of the Squadron, were scheduled to leave for overseas in a couple of days and had, to me, a lot more important things to do. (Our sanity and sobriety were preserved by four inches of glare ice and snow falling on the runway, giving us a couple of extra days
to do those hundred little odd jobs before departure.)

I objected to the above order on the grounds that this was
the Squadron Commander's business and that I had no authority to act. Obviously I lost. Colby was persuaded to draw up something and I signed it as Commanding Rear Echelon. Thus the emblem became the squadron insignia and without the Squadron Commander’s knowledge or approval.

I do not know when the wings and anchor now shown on the “Ghost Lore” cover were added. Also, I have no knowledge as to when the first shoulder patches were made up or by whose order.—Raymond H. George


At left is photo of original insignia owned and contributed by Colonel Ross S. Mickey (Ret.). His photo is at right.







Ishii Garden, Honolulu, Hawaii


Picnic, likely El Toro, CA, Photo developed, April 17, 1951, Reynolds Photo, Santa Ana, CA. Raymond, 4th from left, back row.


Raymond and unknown friends, August 3, 1946, U.S. M. C. A. S.. Miramar, San Diego, CA

Raymond receiving football trophy.

Raymond’s friend, inscribed, “ More than ?”

Ida, Raymond and Allan George, 1922


Raymond George and Barbara Jean West Marriage Certificate. witnesses were likely paid to witness. Divorce documents state they never lived together.

Raymond George and Naval Academy Boat Club, ca 1937.

From September 1964 issue of National Geographic cover story on Chesapeake County, 370-371. Henry Norman Grieb is in the middle with the blue cap and sunglasses. (Thanks to his son, Terry for the identification. Henry was a friend of Raymond and dated Henry's sister Marian) Raymond told me he did this type of racing on the Chesapeake Bay and greatly enjoyed it .The reprint of the article was in Raymond’s possessions.